The Messerschmitt Bf 110 was designed by Willy Messerschmitt as a German twin-engine heavy fighter and fighter-bomber during the 1930s. It was operated by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. The aircraft first flew in May 1936, entered service in 1937, and was retired with the Luftwaffe in 1945. The Bf 110 was also used by the Hungarian Air Force, Italian Air Force, and Romanian Air Force. A total number of 6,170 aircraft were built.
Several variants of the Bf 110 was developed. The Bf 110 C-1 is a heavy fighter version that can carry two or three crew members. It has an external length of 12.1 meters, an external height of 3.5 meters, and a fuselage width of 1 meter. It has a tail height of 4.13 meters and a wheelbase of 8.8 meters. The wingspan is 16.25 meters and the wing area is 38.4 square meters. It has an empty weight of 4,425 kg, a gross weight of 6,028 kg, a maximum takeoff weight of 6,749 kg, and a fuel capacity of 336 US gal in four center-section tanks. The maximum payload is 1,000 kg.
The aircraft is powered by two Daimler-Benz DB 601A-1 engines. It is a twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled supercharged inverted V piston engine that produces a maximum takeoff thrust of 1,050 hp each and drives three-bladed VDM variable-speed propellers. The Bf 110 has a maximum speed of 256 knots at 6,028 kg at sea level, 283 knots at 13,120 feet, and 292 knots at 19,685 feet.
It has a maximum continuous cruise speed of 141 knots at sea level, 264 knots at 16,400 feet, 261 knots at 22,970 feet, and an economical cruise speed of 188 knots at 13,780 feet. It has a landing speed of 81 knots. The standard range is 418 nautical miles at sea level with normal internal fuel at maximum continuous cruise speed and 460 nautical miles at 16,400 feet. The range at economical cruise speed is 491 knots at 22,970 feet and 591 nautical miles at 13,780 feet. It can fly up to 32,810 feet and can climb at a rate of 2,200 feet per minute.
The aircraft could be loaded with two 20 mm MG FF/M cannon with 180 rounds per gun, four 7.92 mm MG 17 machine guns with 1,000 rounds per gun, and a 7.92 MG 15 machine gun for defense.