To aviation enthusiasts, the Eurofighter Typhoon and the F-22 Raptor are two of the most well known military aircraft. The Eurofighter is a twin engine fighter with an impressive combat record in Libya and Syria. The F-22 Raptor has never been used in combat, but is one of the best fighters ever built. Which one would you want to fly? Read on for more information about these fascinating machines!
|Aircraft:||Eurofighter Typhoon T1||Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor|
|Manufactured:||from: 2003 to: Present||from: 2005 to: 2011|
|Price:||$90 million||$139 million|
|Avionics:||BAE Systems Tranche 2 avionics||Lockheed F/A-22 Integrated avionics, AN/AAR-56 Missile Launch Detector (MLD)|
|Engine:||2x Eurojet EJ200 afterburning turbofan||2x 2 × Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100|
|Power:||13,500 pound-force||35,000 pound-force|
|Max Cruise Speed:||
|Approach Speed (Vref):||-||-|
2,047 Nautical Miles
1,600 Nautical Miles
1.1 nautical mile / gallon
0.538 kilometres / litre
|Service Ceiling:||65,000 feet||65,000 feet|
|Rate of Climb:||
62600 feet / minute
318.01metre / second
68897 feet / minute
350.00metre / second
|Take Off Distance:||
|Max Take Off Weight:||
|Max Landing Weight:||-||-|
|Fuel Tank Capacity:||
|Seats - Economy:||2 seats||1 seats|
|Seats - Business Class:||-||-|
|Seats - First Class:||-||-|
|Tail Height:||-||5.08 metre - 16.67 feet|
|Wing Span / Rotor Diameter:||
|Wing Tips:||No Winglets||No Winglets|
|More Info:||Eurofighter Typhoon T1||Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor|
Data presented is for entertainment purposes and should not be used operationally.
Other Eurofighter Typhoon T1 comparisons:
- Eurofighter Typhoon vs F-16 Fighting Falcon
- Eurofighter Typhoon vs Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
- Eurofighter Typhoon vs McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle
- Eurofighter Typhoon vs Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet
Other Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor comparisons:
About the Eurofighter Typhoon
The Eurofighter Typhoon is a British single-seat, multi-role, highly agile combat aircraft currently in service with the air forces of Germany, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom. The Eurofighter typhoon is a twin – engine, two – seat canard – delta wing fighter.
Based on public statements by Eurofighters’ chief test pilot Peter Besold, the Eurofighter Typhoon has a maximum speed of Mach 2.25, a service ceiling of 65,000 ft (19,812 m) and can supercruise at speeds of up to Mach 1.3 without using afterburners.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is powered by two Eurojet EJ200 turbojets providing an afterburning thrust of approximately 90 kN (19,000 lbf), with each engine containing a thrust – vectoring nozzle. The Eurofighter Typhoon uses state-of-the-art fly-by-wire technology to control the aircraft’s flight surfaces.
Why was the Eurofighter Typhoon developed and built
The Typhoon was developed to replace several European air forces’ Air Defense Fighters (ADF), namely the Royal Air Force’s Tornado F3, the Italian Air Force and Italian Navy’s Tornado IDS and the German Air Force’s Panavia Tornado, which was in service from 1979 to 2011.
What purpose did / does the Eurofighter Typhoon serve
The main purpose of the Typhoon was and is to serve as an air defense fighter, replacing the Tornado F3 and Sea Harrier. It can also support land ground forces and engage surface targets (ships, landing craft, convoys etc.) under certain circumstances.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is the main multirole combat aircraft for several European air forces (UK, Germany, Italy).
About the F-22 Raptor
The F-22 raptor is a fifth generation, single-seat, twin-engine, all weather stealth tactical fighter jet. The F-22 Raptor is manufactured by Lockheed Martin and has a top speed of Mach 2.25 with a combat radius of nearly 1,600 nautical miles on internal fuel alone.
It can supercruise (fly at supersonic speed without afterburners) at speeds of between Mach 1.2 to 1.4 for an unconfirmed amount of time up to 80 km away from air defenses and has been reported to have a service ceiling of over 65,000 ft (19,812 m).
Why was the F-22 developed and built?
The F-22 was developed due to a requirement for a new air superiority fighter by the US Air force, but was also later ordered as a replacement for the f-15 eagle.
The development of the F-22 Raptor started in 1986 with a program called “F-117 stealth fighter”, which initially received the designation F-22.
Once congress approved funding for production of over 200 aircraft, it was redesignated as the “f – 22 raptor”. The first f 22 raptors were delivered to Nellis Air Force Base on December 15th 2005.
What purpose did / does the F-22 serve?
The F-22 serves as one of America’s premier air superiority fighters, with a limited role as an interceptor against high profile targets. A single F-22 Raptor was destroyed in one of its early trials by an in flight hydraulic failure at a cost of over 1billion US dollars. Nevertheless, it is currently the only viable air superiority fighter and interceptor in service with the US Air force.
How are the Typhoon and F-22 different?
A few of the differences between these two aircraft are:
- The euro fighter typhoon is a very agile and super maneuverable aircraft. It has one of the fastest accelerations of all fighter aircraft in the world.
- Eurofighter Typhoon is more maneuverable than F-22 Raptor due to its thrust vectoring engines that are able to steer its nozzles.
- Eurofighter Typhoon has a flap area of 18% and an aileron span of 8% which means it can perform very sharp maneuvers.
- Eurofighter Typhoon has a higher G capability than that of F-22 raptor.
- Eurofighter Typhoon is a twin seat jet fighter aircraft, while f-22 raptor is a single seat jet fighter.
- Eurofighter Typhoon can also carry heavier missiles and bombs in its internal bays vs being limited to four medium range missiles on F-22 Raptor.
- Eurofighter Typhoon can carry up to 8 air-to-air missiles and internal guns in its bay as compared to F-22 Raptor which can only hold 4 air-to-air missiles internally.
- Eurofighter Typhoon has a higher maximum service ceiling of 18 km vs F-22 Raptor’s 14 km altitude limit for single point pressure refueling.
- Eurofighter Typhoon’s range and combat radius is superior to that of f 22 raptor.
- Eurofighter Typhoon has a maximum mach speed of M1.6 which is ten times greater than that of R-22 Raptor
How are Typhoon and F-22 similar?
Some of the similarities between the Eurofighter Typhoon and F-22 Raptor are that both are stealth aircraft and can achieve super cruise up to mach 1.4.
The Eurofighter Typhoon has an integrated avionics systems for better situational awareness, and the Eurofighter Typhoon is twin engine while F-22 Raptor has single engine.
The Typhoon and F-22 have comparable radar signature. Both aircraft also have in common that they both serve as multi-role fighters.
What’s better about the Typhoon?
The Eurofighter Typhoon can haul more fuel, which increases its range and combat radius. This is especially advantageous because the Eurofighter Typhoon has a twin engine, while the F-22 is single engine. The Typhoon is an agile and super maneuverable aircraft.
Many have claimed that many Typhoons will be necessary to take down an F-22 Raptor based on combat simulations, but Typhoon is currently out of production and has been cancelled for a long time (if not permanently). The Eurofighter company also did not want to engage in that type of dogfighting.
The Eurofighter Typhoon:
- Is cheaper to produce
- Is still in production and development
- Has a larger operating envelope.
- Can carry up to 18 missiles as compared to f-22’s 12
- Currently has a larger range
- Is twin engine while f-22 raptor is single engine
- Has more versatility
What’s better about the F-22?
The F-22 has some advantages over the Eurofighter Typhoon, which include:
- it can carry more fuel in its internal bays
- The F-22 is currently in service while eurofighter typhoon is not
- F-22 raptor is a much more capable fighter jet than eurofighter typhoon
- F-22 raptor is very stealthy and much more maneuverable than euro fighter typhoon.
- F-22 raptor has a better radar signature compared to eurofighter typhoon
- F-22 raptor can achieve super cruise at mach 1.5 while eurofighter typhoon can only go up to mach 1.3
- F-22 has a much better top speed
- F-22 weighs less
- F-22 service ceiling is higher
- F-22 can refuel in the air, while the Typhoon cannot.
It is a common misconception that the Eurofighter Typhoon and F-22 Raptor are direct competitors. They may be in many ways, but one major difference between these two aircraft is their intended purpose. The Eurofighter Typhoon was designed to have a multirole capability which means it can perform air superiority, ground attack, or SEAD missions depending on its loadout at any given time whereas the F-22 Raptor was designed for air superiority.
So the euro fighter typhoon may seem better on the surface, but the F-22 has the Eurofighter Typhoon beat in several areas. So if the euro fighter typhoon vs f 22 was a real battle, the Eurofighter Typhoon will probably lose based on sheer numbers.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is not as maneuverable as the F-22 Raptor and Eurofighter’s software hasn’t been fully developed yet. The Typhoon is also slower than the F-22 raptor, and Eurofighter Typhoon’s flight envelope can’t match the Raptor.